Today’s talent aren’t shy about asking for what they want – or expect – from a new job. But while generations past might have focused solely on high-earning jobs and more pay, the next generation of talent coming through the workplace need more than just money to turn their heads.
According to KPMG, millennials could make up a whopping 50% of the global workforce by 2020.[i] It makes sense, then, that understanding what this generation wants from work is critical. If it’s not just a high-earning job, what is it?
In our experience as recruiters, the best jobs in 2020 will be those that offer:
· More work–life balance and flexible working. Previous generations might have talked about wanting greater work–life balance; today’s workers simply expect it. Jobs with flexible working opportunities that allow time and space for real life to get in the way are highly desirable.
· Better working environment. People want to enjoy coming to work. It’s as simple as that. From off-site meetings and team events, to on-site breakout spaces, free coffee and food, today’s teams expect to feel switched on by their working day, not switched off.
· Holistic benefits packages. Yes, the current generation of employees want to be fairly compensated for their talent. But they also prioritise other benefits, like generous holiday allowances, maternity/paternity packages and of course that all-important flexible working.
· Training and development opportunities. You know that feeling when you have a great job with ample scope for advancement, and an employer that actively wants to nurture and encourage your development? Yep, that feeling. That’s what folks want.
· Cultural fit. This can be a deal-breaker. Nowadays, people want to feel like they’re part of something bigger – an organisation with values that chime with their own.
· Earning potential. Yes, while everything above is important, an individual’s earning potential is vital to attracting and retaining the best talent into your business – those bills need to get paid!
What are you looking for in 2020?
Call us biased, but we believe a job in recruitment ticks all these boxes and more. So if you’re considering a new challenge in 2020, we want to hear from you. To discover what a career at Roc Search can offer you, check out our careers site or give us a call on 0118 317 7255.